Tuesday, March 31, 2009

ASTON JUXTA CHURCH - 31st March 2009

Welcome to Aston Parish Church, or the Church of Ss Peter and Paul, or Aston Juxta Church (Aston near Birmingham Church). A huge array of names and a history to match. On the day of my visit the church was closed for restorative work and so I went in.
There are monuments centuries old in the church, some with Latin inscriptions, and some so faded as to be illegible. I hope to revisit and photograph more of the tablets.
I was told by one of the ministers that the church is usually open when Aston Villa FC have a home match, although it was not made clear whether this was to pray for divine intervention before the match or possibly to seek solace afterwards.

More information and photographs will be added as I get the time to do so.