Saturday, September 17, 2005

BLACK COUNTRY BOATFEST 17th & 18th September 2005.

Saturday 17th October 2005.
Ok, it isn't Birmingham. It has nothing to do with genealogy. It is a far cry from the noble sentiments of Key Hill and the dangerous exploration of St Saviours.. but I like it.
Armed with my trusty camera and an A-Z of the Black Country, I bussed out to Windmill End, near Netherton for the annual gathering of boats. When I arrived I was greeted by the bustle of the crowds of visitors, the chugging of narrow boats and the smells of steam and burgers.
The area is a network of canals and canal arms, joined by a plethora of bridges, set in a beautiful patch of countryside. It is worth a visit any time of the year as it is a haven for wild-life and flora. The Bumble Hole visitor centre is there for people to drop in to find out about the area.
There were lots of stalls selling the usual canal goodies, tombolas, charity stalls, a fairground, craft stalls, displays of dancing and boatmanship, burger stalls, a pig-roast and a beer tent, to name just a few. The rain held off while I was there although it clouded over somewhat.

No comments: